Jim, music teacher“It’s important for teachers to find the association that best represents them and what they believe education is all about.” ...
Sharon, high school science teacher“I was a satisfied, enthusiastic union member for many years.” As a high school science teacher, Sharon works very ...
Christi, guidance counselor“There is freedom to choose.” Christi discovered her love of teaching as a teenager at her first job—swim instructor. ...
Be Informed and Be Empowered
Addressing common misconceptions about opting out of union membership.
Only the union can protect my job!
Who will protect my job?
School employees are protected by the contract and state & federal law, but often need additional support. Your due process rights can be protected by less expensive professional associations.
I'll lose tenure!
Will I lose tenure?
No, you won't. Union membership has absolutely no impact on your tenure.
Only union members are in the contract!
Am I out of the contract if I leave the union?
Your individual membership has absolutely no impact on the existence or terms of the negotiated agreement for you or any colleagues. You are still a part of the contract as a non-member.
I'll lose my seniority!
Will I lose my seniority?
No, you won't. Union membership has absolutely no impact on your seniority.
Only the union provides liability insurance!
What happens to my liability insurance?
Union liability insurance is provided exclusively to members.
There are numerous (often less expensive) alternatives to the union for quality liability insurance.
I'll lose my health insurance!
Will I lose my health insurance?
No, you won't. Union membership has absolutely no impact on your health insurance or other compensation from the district.
New Jersey Education News
PRESS | NJ Teachers Challenge State Law Limiting JanusBefore Janus, New Jersey public school teachers Susan Fischer and Jeanette Speck, along with five million other public sector workers, ...
NEWS | These 2 Teachers Wanted to Quit Their Union, They’ve Decided to SueSusan G. Fischer teaches Italian in New Jersey public schools. All in all, she calculates that she’s involuntarily ceded about ...
NEWS | 'We're Bringing Education Back': Takeaways From The ElectionHello! We know there’s a lot of news out there, but we’re bringing you an education-centric take on the midterms, ...
Top Five Reasons Educators Opt Out of Union Membership
- I'm so tired of the nonstop politics and negativity.
- Unions are too focused on adults at the expense of kids.
- It is just too expensive!
- I don’t want my money going to the union’s national political agenda. Focus on education issues, not national politics.
- I found a better association that provides what I need and it costs less by not funding candidates and political parties.
Top Five Reasons Educators Join Alternative Associations
- I need quality liability insurance.
- I want support protecting my job. Employment rights coverage will be there for me.
- This professional association shares my values and philosophy.
- No partisan politics, no campaigns or elections—focused on kids and helping teachers.
- Lower price. Much lower price.